Tuesday, January 11, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu

 

That worked, thanks! Now I'm noticing another problem, which is apparently common to Ubuntu 10.10, namely, while sound comes from the laptop's terrible sounding built-in mini speakers, the headphone jack is not working. I like to run the headphone jack from my laptop to the back of my Bose Acoustic Wave radio for quality sound. I searched for a fix for about 45 minutes last night but the answers I found either didn't work, applied to a different model laptop, or they were written for people who know what they're doing, which made it impossible for me to follow the instructions.

I don't want to be a needy pest, so I'll just say that if anyone wants to try lending a hand again, I have a Toshiba laptop, model L655.

Thanks,
~Kaz

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Septymus Spyder <septymus.spyder@...> wrote:
>
> On January 9, 2011 10:21:31 pm you wrote:
> > Well, the good news is that I installed Ubuntu 10.1 and I'm now able to
> > connect to the Internet. I'm posting this message from Linux. The bad
> > news is that I have no sound with the newer version whereas I had sound
> > with version 10.04! Errrgggg.
> >
> > Now I have to figure out how to get the sound card to work, how to install
> > Adobe Flash so that I can watch videos on Youtube, and how to install
> > codices so that I can listen to MP3's, etc.
> >
> > The adventure continues!
> >
> > ~Kaz
> >
>
> In my experience, the simplest way to install the codecs necessary for MP3,
> Flash, etc., is to run the following in a terminal window:
>
> sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras
> --
> Septymus Spyder
> "Necrophilia: The uncontrollable urge to crack open a cold one."
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment