Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Resizing Linux

Work from the Live CD since you cannot work on a mounted file system. Use
gparted in your distro's live CD or a distro dedicated to this such as
PartedMagic. Once you are in your Live CD do not mount the partition. Open
the partition editor such as Gparted and select the device in the menu. Then
it will display the partitions is a graphical ribbon. Right click on the
partion you want to resize and increase the size in the drop down. You can
only do this if the unallocated space is adjacent. If it is not adjacent
then you will have to add the step of moving the partition so that it is
adjacent. Then hit apply and wait till it is complete. I tend to only do one
thing at a time. eg. Move then Apply. Resize then Apply. This is only
because I have had more success this way and it saves time in the end.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 12 January 2011 20:06, james_jolin <james.jolin@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> I know this topic came up awhile ago, but I looked in the archives and I
> could not find an answer to my particular question.
> I went into Windows XP partition and resized Windows so I would have a new
> chunk of unallocated space for linux. I brought up Ubuntu and ran gparted
> and saw the new unallocated space. Now comes the tough part. I know I had to
> do this without mounting the harddive so I took the live cd and ran
> that...also downloded gparted but I could move the ext4 partition into the
> new unallocated space. So, how do I do this??
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment