Thursday, January 20, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] usb floppy

 

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:35:59AM -0500, J wrote:

> > I've had Linux for almost 2 months and am substantially less confused than I was. YAY! I've been using Windows since the very beginning of Windows & DOS before
> > that so I'm pretty literate in Windows. I'm also not afraid of this machine! I have a laptop & have tried to get it to recognize a USB floppy drive without success.

Well, that's what I tell my users--when I walk over, and the problem has
magically stopped, I say, "They're like dogs and horses--you can't show
them fear."

>
> FWIW, Ubuntu is not terribly floppy friendly anymore as floppies have
> really gone the way of the dodo. It may be that you just need to load
> the proper driver (maybe it's usb_floppy?? I don't recall) or it could
> be something else.
>
> In general terms, however, a USB device is a USB device and floppies
> have historically just worked. So this is not proper behaviour
> (IMHO).

I tend to agree with the second paragraph.

>
> Open a terminal
> Run the command "lsusb"
> Plug the floppy in and wait a few seconds (does the floppy light up
> when you plug it in indicating it's getting power?)
> Run the "lsusb" command again and see if the floppy appears in the output
>
> You can also look at the logs (/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog)
> and see if there are errors that appear when you plug the floppy drive
> in.

What I do to trouble shoot USB is run dmesg |tail

after plugging it in--this usually gives me some information.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment