Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu

 

My pastor likes to use his headphones, too.  Unfortunately, he had better luck with trying my USB sound card.  He saw they were $4.99 on EBay, but wanted to be sure it would work.
At least, you have another option...
Joan in Reno

--- On Tue, 1/11/11, kazman1914 <kazman1914@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: kazman1914 <kazman1914@yahoo.com>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 5:04 AM

 

That worked, thanks! Now I'm noticing another problem, which is apparently common to Ubuntu 10.10, namely, while sound comes from the laptop's terrible sounding built-in mini speakers, the headphone jack is not working. I like to run the headphone jack from my laptop to the back of my Bose Acoustic Wave radio for quality sound. I searched for a fix for about 45 minutes last night but the answers I found either didn't work, applied to a different model laptop, or they were written for people who know what they're doing, which made it impossible for me to follow the instructions.

I don't want to be a needy pest, so I'll just say that if anyone wants to try lending a hand again, I have a Toshiba laptop, model L655.

Thanks,

~Kaz

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Septymus Spyder <septymus.spyder@...> wrote:

>

> On January 9, 2011 10:21:31 pm you wrote:

> > Well, the good news is that I installed Ubuntu 10.1 and I'm now able to

> > connect to the Internet. I'm posting this message from Linux. The bad

> > news is that I have no sound with the newer version whereas I had sound

> > with version 10.04! Errrgggg.

> >

> > Now I have to figure out how to get the sound card to work, how to install

> > Adobe Flash so that I can watch videos on Youtube, and how to install

> > codices so that I can listen to MP3's, etc.

> >

> > The adventure continues!

> >

> > ~Kaz

> >

>

> In my experience, the simplest way to install the codecs necessary for MP3,

> Flash, etc., is to run the following in a terminal window:

>

> sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras

> --

> Septymus Spyder

> "Necrophilia: The uncontrollable urge to crack open a cold one."

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment