Wednesday, January 12, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> It doesn't matter--the fastest mirror will depend upon where you are. For me, in Ukraine, the mirrors you use are likely to be extremely slow.
>
> To find the fastest mirror is fairly straight-forward. If you're using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, the application called Ailurus has a tab specifically set up to test any mirrors you wish, anywhere in the world.
>
> I have found that the mirrors that test fastest at one time may vary a month or more later, so I wind up running this quarterly or thereabouts. In the last two years, I've changed mirrors once to a different one, then about six months later back to the original as the intervening connections seemed to vary in the meantime.
>
> David

I tried some app (netselect-apt?) that claimed it could find the fastest mirror. Maybe I ran it wrong or something because the one it picked out for me was a dog! So I went down the list trying a few until I found one that was head and shoulders above all the rest.

Although now that you mention it I did notice my speed was down about 200KB/s below what it usually is last time I used it. I was getting 1.45MB/s as opposed to my typical 1.65MB/s Sometimes it takes a moment for it to come all the way up though and maybe whatever I was getting just wasn't big enough to get up to full speed?

38% [70 kdebase-workspace-data 46887806/68.2 MB 68%] 1,643 kB/s 1min 45s

Nah that looks about right to me. My connection doesn't go much faster than that really so I'm good with it. I was really due for an upgrade.

118 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 281 MB of archives. After unpacking 332 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y

Oh, and I run Debian. Ubuntu is a little too busy for me.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment