Monday, April 21, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Mint 16 Cinnamon woes!

 

Hi, I just joined this group as I have a laptop that I was attempting to
install Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon on but have run into difficulties
getting it to boot. I loaded it from a DVD and selected the option to
install from that desktop. I deleted Windows 8 (thank God!) but need a
reliable OS for this thing. If I just allow it to boot normally I get a
blue screen with a message that "X server" could not start. I searched
the Linux forums and found a link to disable the acceleration of my
video card (Radeon 8330), which I did, and it has booted into "safe
mode" (unaccelerated) mode. The changes to the GNU GRUB file does not
save so must be entered manully each time it is booted. Getting to the
GRUB menu is a problem most of the time as simply holding down the shift
button while powering on and booting does not always work. I'm pretty
frustrated with trying to get this thing to run reliably! It's an ASUS
laptop with an A4 AMD processor, the Radeon 8330 video and 8 GB RAM.

Does anybody know of a site or method to install a driver that will not
conflict, or whatever I need to do to get this thing running properly?

Thanks,

Mark
--
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot
survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable,
for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves
amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through
all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the
traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his
victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the
baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a
nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the
pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no
longer resist. A murderer is less to fear." ― Cicero

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment