Sunday, April 20, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint with Mate Up and Running

 

Hi Roy,

You wrote:

Thanks for the explanation on your choice of desktop environment.

Of course, while Mate may be old timey, I
only had it and Lubuntu downloaded for
comparison. Lubuntu gave me much less
to look at and try out booting from USB,
so I went with my original thoughts.

Mate seems to work reasonably well for
my purposes.

As for Petra , I would wait till Qiana comes out and upgrade according to the Mint instructions viz a vis upgrades.

A lot has been said about Mint and its
not having an upgrade method. Since
Qiana is only about a month away, it
shouldn't be unreasonable to back up
whatever accumulares and install it
from USB just like I did Petra.

Once you reach Qiana then you will be in LTS and need not switch to whatever follows Qiana (U-something). Instead you can stay on the LTS cycle.

I can't predict the future (otherwise I'd
get rich at the racetrack--LOL), but
staying with Qiana seems to be my
most likely course.

I know nothing about Apple hardware, I am afraid.

Well Apple isn't our theme here, it's
just where a lot of my so-called spare
time goes. It's also one of the places
I can access a WiFi which **is** very
much a resource for downloading
big .iso files.

Happy Easter,

Same to you

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment