Friday, October 1, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Please bear with a newbie w/some questions

 

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 07:56, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could not get Maverick to run in a VM either, so it isn't just Fedora.

That's odd... I just got done doing about 30 different Maverick
installs in VBox VMs.
If you're running KVM, that could be the issue. KVM is, IMO crap...
sadly, it's been, for me, as unstable as Xen was/is.

But in my own experience at least, I've had no issues running Maverick
or any other Ubuntu in VirtualBox VMs, and that includes both 32 and
64bit VMs.

> I would add that Wubi is also available from wubi-installer.org. It was once
> a separate project, but has since been rolled into the*buntus. Some other
> distributions have something similar. Wubi Ubuntu will NOT work inside
> Windows. It installs inside Windows then you need to re-boot to use it. The
> directory where it is installed is an image that is mounted as if it was a
> partition when you re-boot. The installation continues for a several minutes
> after you re-boot and then it will work as the normal thing with a couple of
> exceptions. Hibernation will not work. It is open to Windows problems such
> as a corrupted file system from viruses and crashes and fragmentation.It is
> cool and unique to Linux and every Ubuntu  (and variants) user should try it
> once because it is something that you can recommend to people wanting to try
> without the worry of losing Windows data. It is high on the cool factor,
> IMO.

Wubi is cool, but it's certainly not a new idea. Red Hat was doing
that way back in the day, and TBH, it was one of the things that drove
me insane... it wasn't called Wubi (some other tool, but the effect
was the same. Installed into a file on the windows filesystem
(similar to the files used by virtual machines for their filesystems),
added an option to boot and off you went.

This time around, I could not get a wubi based 32bit Maverick install
to boot on my WinXP partition (on my Lenovo S-10 netbook) but I did
get it to work just fine on my Athlon II system running 64bit Windows
7.

I agree with yo though, Wubi is a cool way for users to try out Linux
without refactoring their partition schemes, and risking the loss of
data that can occur when you start resizing filesystems and
partitions.

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment