Sunday, December 26, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: 9 GB question

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 06:24:05AM -0000, Paul wrote:
> >
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@> wrote:
> > >
> > > It depends on your needs. If you plan on ripping DVDs for example that
> > > alone can eat up 9 GBs of temporary space.
> > >
> >
> > You must have one awesome computer if you need data faster than a DVD drive can supply it when you encode! Or are you making DVD copies?
> >
>
> I took as meaning making a DVD from a media file. For example, of
> course, a spouse asking you to copy a DVD that her dance school did of
> the childrens' performance, i.e., completely legitimately.
>
> --

I was simply trying to clear up some ambiguity and now everyone brings up legitimacy. Its all ones and zeros to me so I don't care about any of that. Plus I'm pretty sure most everyone has the right to make a back up copy for archival purposes anyways.

I asked because I wasn't sure. I've personally never copied a DVD so I figured maybe that is where the 9 GB comes into play. Though I've encoded a fair amount and I don't need to copy the VOB in order to do that. Really doing so has been a complete waste of time for me.

This is plenty fast enough:

hdparm -tT /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0:
Timing cached reads: 9420 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4712.82 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 28 MB in 3.19 seconds = 8.78 MB/sec

Though maybe if I compile my codecs to multithread that could change. I'll have to get around to doing it someday just to see it. I just looked (used htop) at what my distro threw me and I can't tell now if I am or I'm not. Though it is unlikely the binaries I've installed presently are configured to multithread. I can't really complain now either:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=740:vhq -ffourcc XVID Sample.mpg -o Sample.avi

Pos: 315.8s 7575f (100%) 715.36fps Trem: 0min 36mb A-V:0.038 [733:224]

$ ls -lh Sample*
-rw-r--r-- 1 pfred1 pfred1 37M Dec 26 09:35 Sample.avi
-rw-r--r-- 1 pfred1 pfred1 53M Nov 16 2010 Sample.mpg

10 seconds, 3 or 4 seconds I'm not in that much of a rush. But I suppose I'll still have to do it like I said just to see it. But when I do it I want to upgrade my system's packages and that should prove to be a little time consuming for me.

I've more pressing matters to deal with first though. Anyone here good dealing with udev?

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment