Saturday, December 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: fedora-- what program is needed

 

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 05:25:27AM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 02:09:35PM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
> > > For me the command was:
> > > aptitude install sun-java6-bin
> >
> > Fedora's mission statement points out that they won't supply Sun java,
> > as it's not completely opensource. (They don't specifically mention
> > Sun, but this is in terms of flash, NVidia drivers, and the like.)
> >
> > This can be argued back and forth,
> > but it's the way they do it. However, it's quite simple--the guide I
> > mentioned yesterday walks you through the steps--basically, you download
> > the binary from Oracle, nee Sun, and run 3 commands, spelled out in the
> > mjmwired guide. Dave's script (the easylife) might do it, but I think
> > he uses the ice tea.)
>

> Thanks but don't tell me I'm done. I'm the one that said, "For me the command was aptitude install sun-java6-bin".
>

I'm either missing something here or reading too much into the, "...don't
tell me I'm done." I didn't tell you anything. I snipped some, left in
your information about Debian and continued with an answer to the OP.
So, I don't quite get that statement, if it was directed towards my
post.

> And I thought Debian were pains about FOSS. Jeez!
>
> Paul -- who doesn't really care just so long as it works.

Actually, I think they are--and I suspect that had they been better
organized and a bit less ideological, would have grabbed the server
market rather than RH. RH is really a horrible server platform in many
ways, far more GUI oriented by default than Debian.

Fedora's also US based, so who knows what absurd laws they have to
make sure not to cross. (Though the NVidia thing is, I believe a matter
of their principles rather than legality, if I remember a thread on
the testing list correctly.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Jenny: You're here again? You kids really dig the library don't
you?
Buffy: We're literary.
Xander: To read makes our speaking English good.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment