Sunday, December 26, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "wally" <wally_471@...> wrote:
>
> Now that I have it on my computer how do I put my favoriets programs on it? As a newbie to linux is there any other things I should know? Like what kind of anti virus or fire wall?
> Thanks, I am sure I'll be back with more Questions.
> Wally
>

Linux has a built in kernel firewall, but you do have to enable, and configure it. I have read that there have been lab implementations of Linux viruses but I've never actually heard of one existing in the wild so to speak. Which is to say that as of now Linux viruses a just a myth.

I guess if you were very careless someone might be able to attack your system somehow. But you'd almost have to go out of your way for it to happen.

Pretty much do not run any services that you do not need and you should be safest that way. Although running services is awfully fun to do! A machine in my garage is running httpd and ftpd and pretty soon I'll probably make it run nfsd too. But it is completely cut off from the Internet at my router and can only be accessed from my own LAN. So that is how I stay safe.

You're going to have to find some new favorite programs for yourself in Linux. I've done a little emulation and I prefer native applications. Browse this website to get an idea of some of the applications available for Linux:

http://freshmeat.net/tags

Try the search box.

I wish I could be more helpful but I am unfamiliar with the distribution of Linux that you are using. You might find running a more popular distribution to be helpful to you. Everyone and their dog runs Ubuntu or a derivative of it today it seems. Me, I run the original Debian.

We have package management utilities that make software installation pretty easy.

http://wiki.debian.org/Synaptic

Which is probably why so many of us use the stuff.

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment