Tuesday, December 28, 2010

RE: [LINUX_Newbies] Command line help

 

Hello,

The simplest way would be to run the following from the directory where you
think the file is located:

find . -iname "informed_consent_lymphoma.doc" -exec mv {} /home/yourusername
\;

Replace yourusername with your login name, and when the file is found, it
will be moved into your home directory.

If you're not certain where on the system the file is located, replace "find
." with "find /" to search every folder on the computer for the document.

Obviously if you're running multiple distros, you'll need to run this
command in each of the distros to find the file.

Hope this helps.

Septymus Spyder

-----Original Message-----
From: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com [mailto:LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Arturo
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:51 AM
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Command line help

Hi, I have several computers, with a lot of folders, with a lot of files. I
have Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Sabayon and OpenSuse.

I have to find a file named: "informed_consent_lymphoma.doc". I'm a
neurosurgeon, this is a difficult case, and I need that file, and I don't
have all day to search, I'm a little nervous and I JUST FORGOT HOW TO SEARCH
THIS FILE IN COMMAND LINE. (This patient has zooed all his previous
doctors, so I need this file).

I don't like you to do homework for me, but I need the syntaxis, please,
help me.

Thanks.

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo!
Groups Links

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment