Saturday, December 25, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Dual boot question

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, William Horne <whorne504@...> wrote:
>
> Can I set aside 20 GB to install Ubuntu is that enough or is more needed?
> Also once I am comfortable with the install, could I using partition magic
> in Windows XP enlarge the patition?
>

Root directories on my systems usually run about 8GB lately. But I like to install a fair amount of software packages. You could probably get away with as little as 4 GB if you were careful. Someone else pointed out lately that you need a swap partition too. A gigabyte or two usually is enough for a swap. I put /home and /boot onto their own partitions. A 100MB /boot is a bit tight but can work. For /home I just dedicate whatever space I have left over to that. 408 GB on this machine.

But I don't dual boot so I have to mount whatever free space I have someplace and there is no place like /home ...

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment