Friday, December 31, 2010

RE: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

 

I’ve noticed, that when using an external USB drive that uses an external USB power supply, that when my NSLU2 tries to power down, the external power supply keeps it powered up, but in the blinking power LED state.

 

  So, if there is no external drive and USB power, it shuts down to off…and with USB power attached, it shuts down to the flashing power LED mode.  If I unplug the USB power supply (but keep the regular NSLU2 power supply attached) it will power down to off

Bruce

 


From: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Doug
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 12:08 PM
To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

 

 

I think I found a way around this that works at least in my case using the power mod I made. If I do a

shutdown -hH now


It shuts down and then sits there alternately blinking the power light from green to yellow at which point you can shutoff the power by pulling the power plug.

Doug
 

Doug Crompton
WA3DSP
www.crompton.com

 

 


From: Mike Westerhof (mwester) <mwester@dls.net>
To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, December 30, 2010 10:43:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

 

On 12/28/2010 9:44 PM, Doug wrote:
> Have an NSLU2 modified for instant on in the event of a power failure. The
> problem I am having is that when I do a
>
> 'shutdown now -h' in Debian in shuts down but then restarts again. So it is
> hard to do a clean shutdown. Anyone have an answer for this? I though halt was
> suppose to halt the processor after shutting down the OS.

On the NSLU2, there is no "halt" as such -- the processor sets a GPIO
pin to a state that "pulls the plug", and kills the processor.

You don't state which of the 12 or 13 (or is it more by now?) power mods
you have implemented, but it seems to me that whichever one it is, it's
'glitchy' and causes the hardware to re-power up after the GPIO turns it
off.

(AFAIK, Debian uses the same kernel as all the other firmwares, but if
that is not true, then this could be due to some difference in the way
Debian handles power-off --- all I can say is that my modified unit with
SlugOS works as expected.)

-Mike

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment