Monday, December 20, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] newbie: firmware flash now cannot access slug

 



Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:
> I have no idea what a "show int Fa-xxx" means or does, so I have no
> way to know what that really does... but if it shows you the mac address
> of the slug, I guess that's a good thing.

oops, my mistake, sorry. it wasn't showing the mac address of the slug at
all, it was the mac address of the router port (red faced).

I'd take a step back, if this was my unit... pull it off the network
> where it is right now, pull off ALL cables and devices, find a switch or
> hub or cross-over cable and connect the NSLU2 directly to a port on my
> Linux host -- forming a private network, with nothing else in the way.
> Power up the NSLU2 while using wireshark on the Linux system port, and
> see what traffic appears.

ok I did that. I connected the slug to my (windows) laptop with a crossover
cable, I gave the network port the address 192.168.0.2. Started up wireshark
and then booted the slug. This is what I got:
(wireshark pcap file)
http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/linksys/slugoot2.pcap
again mixed in there are three dhcp pings (0.0.0.0) present which I'm sure
are from the Linksys device. Problem is that even when connected to a dhcp
server the Linksys doesn't pick up an ip address.

If that does nothing, then I'd follow the steps to get telnet access to
> redboot, in order to erase the sysconf partition (both techniques
> described in the wiki). That will reset everything to factory defaults
> -- boot the unit, and ping it at 192.168.1.77.

that circles back to the problem. This slug will not pick up an ip address
so I can't telnet anything. I've pinged 192.168.1.77 loads of times...get
nothing. I've checked and checked and checked again and I've done scans for
an ip address using netscan.exe but there is never an ip address for the
Linksys.
Right now I'm scrounging round to find if/where I can buy an jtag cable for
this device. I think that's the only way to go now.
--
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/newbie%3A-firmware-flash-now-cannot-access-slug-tp30491664p30500805.html
Sent from the Nslu2 - Linux mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment