Monday, December 27, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp

 

Freespre used to be great but I think it is dead now. It used to have an web site(FreeSpire.org) but it is dead now. When I ran Linspire, Freespire's paid dist., they had an downloader call CRM. He may want to try Linux XP, only it's a Fedora-based distro.
david
--- On Sun, 12/26/10, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

From: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 7:24 AM

 

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:38:22AM -0000, wally wrote:

> Now that I have it on my computer how do I put my favoriets programs on it? As a newbie to linux is there any other things I should know? Like what kind of anti virus or fire wall?

> Thanks, I am sure I'll be back with more Questions.

> Wally

>

I'm not familiar with Freespire. If it's Linux, you won't need an

antivirus. The vast majority of malware is written for Windows.

As for adding programs, hopefully, someone familar with Freespire can

help. I would guess that it has a software manager somewhere in its

menus that will allow you to search for available packages.

Ah, a quick look at Distrowatch indicates that it's Ubuntu/Debian based.

So, to search for software, use

aptitude search <program_you_want> and when you find the name do

aptitude install <program_name>

If you get, after typing aptitude something like command not found, then

just do

apt-get install aptitude

As you've said you're completely new to it, I should probably mention

that you should do this by opening a terminal. Also, if it's Ubuntu

based, the user you created should have sudo privilege. The commands I

gave (for installing, such as aptitude install will need to be done with

sudo, e.g., sudo aptitude install <program_name>).

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Anya: What a day. Gimme a beer.

Bartender: (deadpan) ID.

(Anya glares at him.)

Bartender: (deadpan) ID.

Anya: I'm eleven hundred and twenty years old! Just gimme a

frickin' beer!

Bartender: (deadpan) ID.

Anya: (sigh) Gimme a Coke.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment