Sunday, December 26, 2010

RE: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp

 


Thanks again David, the computer will have 2 gb soon the most the emachines can hold and ves it about 3 years old but it only get used in the winter when I am in Florida. I got it from a person that wanted it but never used it. i have a laptop to use now also with vista on it and I don't think much of it like windows me.
Wally


To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
From: dbneeley@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 20:16:21 +0000
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp

Wally,

Any of the major distributions is likely to have a "live CD" version that can run off the CD--so you can try several out if you wish without even having to install them until you make your choice.

I'd test the hard disk, by the way, to see if there is an impending disk failure that may have caused the problems with the Windows install. The Emachines model is probably four years old or so, and the disk may be on its last legs.

Personally, my primary distribution is Kubuntu. I've been using KDE for some time and like it and many of its apps. At present, I think either Ubuntu or one of the Ubuntu-based distributions is likely to be the least frustrating way to go simply because of great support on many levels. Not only are the Ubuntu repositories quite large, but many other applications produce Ubuntu-specific binaries so that makes things easier for the "newbie" than some other distros are.

I install all the required support files for various GUI interfaces, even though KDE is my primary. Thus, I can easily load and run applications designed for Gnome, for example. I also have LXDE, XFCE, and Enlightenment installed and I can select among them on boot up.

That said, if your Emachines is short on RAM--many of them shipped with a small amount and it may not have been upgraded--I would consider the Ubuntu-based Lubuntu. That uses the very light-weight interface called LXDE--yet it also has all the Ubuntu apps available. The result would be a faster and more capable system if you are reluctant to upgrade the RAM on your box.

If you have at least a gigabyte of RAM, though, you should be fine whichever way you choose to go--although I'd be more comfortable with a gig and a half or more. That is what my last machine had and I had no difficulty running any of the Linux interfaces or programs. This box has 4 GB, so obviously it works even faster.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Walter Whitfield <wally_471@...> wrote:
>
>
> Thanks David, I have had Freespire Linux XP 2008 on a disk and allways wanted to try Linux out. Now that the emachines Windows Home when bad and could not restore it I gave this a try. Mybe I'll try to down load and newer Linux. Any Ideas or links?
> Thanks,
> Wally
>
>
>
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> From: dbneeley@...
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 10:18:11 +0000
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Emachines D 3315 full with Freespire Linx Xp
>
>
>
>
>
>
> What version of Freespire to you have? Last I heard of was 2.0.8, released in 2008. If what I have heard is true, that Xandros has discontinued it, you would not be receiving version or security upgrades.
>
> If yours is that version, I would simply change distributions to one that is being actively developed and supported.
>
> As far as "running your favorite programs" is concerned--I presume those are most likely Windows programs. Many can be run by one version or another of a program called WINE including its commercial variants such as Cedega or Cross-Over Office, for example.
>
> However, for many Windows programs there are Linux programs that have similar functionality (in more cases than you might think the Linux programs are even better).
>
> Thus, much depends upon what you are trying to run.
>
> Firewall capability is still a very good idea in Linux; fortunately, firewall settings are simply configuration issues of the Linux base code since excellent firewall functionality is built in. There are several graphical programs designed to help you set up the firewall functions without having to diddle with directly editing the iptables themselves. One graphical program for setting up firewall rules is called Guarddog, although there are others. There is also a massive script called Bastille that walks you through a firewall setup, teaching you as you go.
>
> The principal thing you might want an anti-virus program for is if you download programs for friends with Windows machines. The most popular anti-virus is the free CLAM-AV. However, most of us don't bother with an anti-virus program in Linux.
>
> So--your first move is to discover whether Freespire is even being supported these days and especially if not to find another distro that is.
>
> David
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "wally" <wally_471@> wrote:
> >
> > Now that I have it on my computer how do I put my favoriets programs on it? As a newbie to linux is there any other things I should know? Like what kind of anti virus or fire wall?
> > Thanks, I am sure I'll be back with more Questions.
> > Wally
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment