Tuesday, December 28, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Command line help

 



Thank you very much!
I found the file.
Sorry I was nervous and my mind went blank, I forgot the command to find the file. I didn't know in which computer the file was, and all the computers have a lot of folders and files. I got luck in the first computer I tried.
That file is large, and explains with detail everything about the disease and the procedure, and I didn't have the time to make a new informed consent.
Thank you very much for your help.
Arturo

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 04:50:51PM -0000, Arturo wrote:
> > Hi, I have several computers, with a lot of folders, with a lot of files. I have Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Sabayon and OpenSuse.
> >
> > I have to find a file named: "informed_consent_lymphoma.doc". I'm a neurosurgeon, this is a difficult case, and I need that file, and I don't have all day to search, I'm a little nervous and I JUST FORGOT HOW TO SEARCH THIS FILE IN COMMAND LINE. (This patient has zooed all his previous doctors, so I need this file).
> >
> > I don't like you to do homework for me, but I need the syntaxis, please, help me.
> >
>
>
> You don't quite mention your setup, so I don't know if you're talking
> about one computer or several. The syntax is find ./ -name
> <name_of_file> if you know the full name. However, many of thes update
> the database by default, so the other, probabably quicker option is to
> try
>
> locate informed_consent_lymphoma.doc
>
> Otherwise, on the machine(s) that you think might have the file, you'd
> use
>
> find ./ -name informed_consent_lymphoma.doc
>
>
> The ./ means start here. In other words, if you're in your home
> directory, and it might be in someone else's home directory, you don't
> want to start there. If you have no idea where on the computer it is,
> you could su to root, cd to / (not /root, which is root's home
> directory) and run the command from there.
>
> There's a lot of fine tuning that can be done to the command, but I'm
> not familiar with much of it I fear. Hopefully, someone who is better
> at using it will chime in, but the syntax given should help.
>
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Willow: I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment