Monday, December 20, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: eeePC help

Everyone has their favourites. It is as such just opinion. Every once in
awhile I see reports on customer satisfaction and I pay attention to those.
I have had no problem with my two HP desktops, but HP finishes a bit down
the pack in customer satisfaction. My anecdotal report of being pleased
would therefore be just one lucky customer's report and not a trend. You
cannot doubt its veracity, but it cannot be upheld as universal opinion.

Who leads in customer satisfaction? Apple. By a wide margin. Acer is second
or tied for third depending on the survey. Gateway is third on some surveys
and farther down in others. HP and Dell are tied for third on most surveys,
but Dell is up quite a bit over the previous year. Compaq is next. Dell took
a plunge in 2009, but has rebounded nicely. Acer came up dramatically that
year and again up a bit in 2010. Compaq is owned by HP and Acer owns
Gateway. Gateway was once top dog and has since fallen, but is improving.
Compaq was once positioned as HP's low end, but it being repositioned as
high end. What goes around comes around. You will find individual survey
that can probably back any choice. That what the spin doctors do. Find one
or commission one. :)

It is interesting to note Apple made big gains in 2008 and 2009 and that was
largely blamed on Vista's failure and not the PCs that ran it. So OS can
make a difference in customer satisfaction.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 20 December 2010 04:49, dbneeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> Loyal,
>
> First, I have no idea why you think I "slapped" you. I did not.
>
> Second, I have no relationship with ASUS other than having used their
> products for many years on the component level, and now having purchased
> both my UL30 and the netbook from them this past Summer. Thus far, the
> laptop is the best portable machine I have owned by a good bit.
>
> I have seen perhaps a dozen netbooks' insides, and none so far has had a
> CPU fan.
>
> I read *all* computer magazines with a healthy grain of salt. In this case,
> such things as reliability surveys tend to be relatively accurate.
>
> Next, I am aware that these threads are read by many people, not simply the
> original poster and those who participate in the discussion; thus, a post
> regarding relative reliability may be helpful to someone who may be
> considering such a purchase. At present, despite the occasional fan issues,
> so far as I can tell the Eee netbooks seem to be the most reliable available
> by several measures.
>
> Additionally, before this thread even arose, I had commented that I had
> seen various surveys listing ASUS as being one of the more reliable and
> well-supported brands today. Thus, my post was as much a follow-up to that
> earlier discussion as it was to address the current issues.
>
> That of course does not help in the original case here, as once there is a
> problem it is necessary to determine the best fix.
>
> I presume the second netbook with the fan problem is not in warranty (I
> think ASUS netbooks are warranted for a year, IIRC, while their notebooks
> otherwise are warranted for two years.) If it were, it would be relatively
> simple to have them ship a new fan or to repair the machine itself. I have
> had dealings with their tech support site before, and found it relatively
> responsive.
>
> I suggest you consider being a bit less touchy in future. I certainly have
> no intention to put anyone down nor to be anything but helpful on this list.
> If you took my comments that way, I do apologize. You may be sure, though,
> that if I were trying to attack anyone for some strange reason, there would
> be no mistaking it.
>
> One question--for your business purposes, have you ever had experience with
> the Lenovo Thinkpad line? Those seem to be for the most part very different
> and superior machines to their consumer line, and many businesses still
> swear by them as being robust and well built. However, I am not aware of
> their repair policies and if second day support is available for them or
> not.
>
> (I would not be very quick to try the Thinkpad Edge, as those seem no more
> than consumer models with the Thinkpad name slapped on, for the most part).
>
> David
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
> >
> > See in-line.
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "dbneeley" <dbneeley@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Loyal,
> > >
> > > FYI, the January issue of PC World has a rundown on reliability of
> > > various products. Dell and HP were on the bottom, while Apple and
> > > ASUS were at the top (including the Eee, by the way). At the same
> > > time, they claim that Dell quality has actually gone down in recent
> > > years.
> >
> > First, are you the last guy who thinks anything that PC World
> > says matters? Whenever you quit reading their schlock you might
> > want to tell them they can shut off their severs and quit wasting
> > electricity.
> >
> > Second, I don't think I made ANY comments about the reliability
> > of one versus the other. I just mentioned that the fan problem
> > seems to be a common one with the eeePC based on their forums. This
> > does not mean it occurs in 10% or even 1%. It simply means that
> > Roy is not alone out there.
> >
> > Third, to your point about Dell quality going down, you are
> > correct. They had a huge issue with bad capacitors that they
> > pretty much covered up. So why would I still use Dell? I run a
> > business and I need next day solutions if and when something goes
> > wrong. Dell and only Dell has been able to consistently provide
> > that to us. We have had Toshiba, Sony, and HP/Compaq in the past.
> > None of these were even close to "next business day" service. I
> > just wish my dealings with ASUS on motherboards had even been as
> > good as my dealings with these three.
> >
> > >
> > > All brands have some problems, but some obviously have far more
> > > than others.
> >
> > Always difficult to argue with with a statement that says basically
> > nothing.
> >
> > >
> > > As for fans--I seriously doubt the Eee has a CPU fan at all.
> >
> > You may be right. However, I believe Roy was asking for help and
> > what you may think is not terribly helpful. *I* certainly don't
> > know if the fan cools the CPU, hard drives, or everything in general.
> >
> > > From what I have seen, they have a single fan. The Atom usually has
> > > only a heat sink.
> > >
> >
> > Now that is somewhat helpful. Have you ripped open a bunch of
> > netbooks with Atom processors? I know I have not. If you have,
> > step up and say so and give him the benefit of your experience.
> >
> > > That seems to be the case with our 10.1 inch model as well.
> >
> > He discussed a 7 inch and 9 inch eee PC. I believe those are
> > the 700 and 900 series so I don't know what the 10.1 inch has to
> > do with anything.
> >
> > >
> > > David
> > >
> > > <snip>
> >
> > Dude, I don't know what set you off, but I also don't back down
> > when someone slaps me. It ticks me off when I try to help someone
> > and someone else rather than being helpful just complains about
> > what I said. I freely admit I have not had a bunch of Atom Netbooks
> > open. I do have a great deal of desktop and notebook experience.
> >
> > I could read into your post that you work for ASUS. Do you? If so,
> > step up and help.
> >
> > Loyal
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment