Thursday, December 30, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

 

Mike,

   I thought the same thing and my bad that I did not document which of the growing mods I performed when I did it over a year ago. I think that is the problem. I either need to get in there and change the mod or write some code that puts it in a loop after the system is properly shutdown. No big deal. It does what I really wanted it to do and that is recover and reboot at any power failure since I use it for remote temperature sensing.

Thanks and Happy New Year,  Doug
 
Doug Crompton
WA3DSP
www.crompton.com



From: Mike Westerhof (mwester) <mwester@dls.net>
To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, December 30, 2010 10:43:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 shutdown problem

 

On 12/28/2010 9:44 PM, Doug wrote:
> Have an NSLU2 modified for instant on in the event of a power failure. The
> problem I am having is that when I do a
>
> 'shutdown now -h' in Debian in shuts down but then restarts again. So it is
> hard to do a clean shutdown. Anyone have an answer for this? I though halt was
> suppose to halt the processor after shutting down the OS.

On the NSLU2, there is no "halt" as such -- the processor sets a GPIO
pin to a state that "pulls the plug", and kills the processor.

You don't state which of the 12 or 13 (or is it more by now?) power mods
you have implemented, but it seems to me that whichever one it is, it's
'glitchy' and causes the hardware to re-power up after the GPIO turns it
off.

(AFAIK, Debian uses the same kernel as all the other firmwares, but if
that is not true, then this could be due to some difference in the way
Debian handles power-off --- all I can say is that my modified unit with
SlugOS works as expected.)

-Mike

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment