Sunday, December 19, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: eeePC help

 

See in-line.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:
>
> Loyal,
>
> FYI, the January issue of PC World has a rundown on reliability of
> various products. Dell and HP were on the bottom, while Apple and
> ASUS were at the top (including the Eee, by the way). At the same
> time, they claim that Dell quality has actually gone down in recent
> years.

First, are you the last guy who thinks anything that PC World
says matters? Whenever you quit reading their schlock you might
want to tell them they can shut off their severs and quit wasting
electricity.

Second, I don't think I made ANY comments about the reliability
of one versus the other. I just mentioned that the fan problem
seems to be a common one with the eeePC based on their forums. This
does not mean it occurs in 10% or even 1%. It simply means that
Roy is not alone out there.

Third, to your point about Dell quality going down, you are
correct. They had a huge issue with bad capacitors that they
pretty much covered up. So why would I still use Dell? I run a
business and I need next day solutions if and when something goes
wrong. Dell and only Dell has been able to consistently provide
that to us. We have had Toshiba, Sony, and HP/Compaq in the past.
None of these were even close to "next business day" service. I
just wish my dealings with ASUS on motherboards had even been as
good as my dealings with these three.

>
> All brands have some problems, but some obviously have far more
> than others.

Always difficult to argue with with a statement that says basically
nothing.

>
> As for fans--I seriously doubt the Eee has a CPU fan at all.

You may be right. However, I believe Roy was asking for help and
what you may think is not terribly helpful. *I* certainly don't
know if the fan cools the CPU, hard drives, or everything in general.

> From what I have seen, they have a single fan. The Atom usually has
> only a heat sink.
>

Now that is somewhat helpful. Have you ripped open a bunch of
netbooks with Atom processors? I know I have not. If you have,
step up and say so and give him the benefit of your experience.

> That seems to be the case with our 10.1 inch model as well.

He discussed a 7 inch and 9 inch eee PC. I believe those are
the 700 and 900 series so I don't know what the 10.1 inch has to
do with anything.

>
> David
>
> <snip>

Dude, I don't know what set you off, but I also don't back down
when someone slaps me. It ticks me off when I try to help someone
and someone else rather than being helpful just complains about
what I said. I freely admit I have not had a bunch of Atom Netbooks
open. I do have a great deal of desktop and notebook experience.

I could read into your post that you work for ASUS. Do you? If so,
step up and help.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Be a homeroom hero! Help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment