Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Command line help

 

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 04:50:51PM -0000, Arturo wrote:
> Hi, I have several computers, with a lot of folders, with a lot of files. I have Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Sabayon and OpenSuse.
>
> I have to find a file named: "informed_consent_lymphoma.doc". I'm a neurosurgeon, this is a difficult case, and I need that file, and I don't have all day to search, I'm a little nervous and I JUST FORGOT HOW TO SEARCH THIS FILE IN COMMAND LINE. (This patient has zooed all his previous doctors, so I need this file).
>
> I don't like you to do homework for me, but I need the syntaxis, please, help me.
>

You don't quite mention your setup, so I don't know if you're talking
about one computer or several. The syntax is find ./ -name
<name_of_file> if you know the full name. However, many of thes update
the database by default, so the other, probabably quicker option is to
try

locate informed_consent_lymphoma.doc

Otherwise, on the machine(s) that you think might have the file, you'd
use

find ./ -name informed_consent_lymphoma.doc

The ./ means start here. In other words, if you're in your home
directory, and it might be in someone else's home directory, you don't
want to start there. If you have no idea where on the computer it is,
you could su to root, cd to / (not /root, which is root's home
directory) and run the command from there.

There's a lot of fine tuning that can be done to the command, but I'm
not familiar with much of it I fear. Hopefully, someone who is better
at using it will chime in, but the syntax given should help.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Willow: I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment