Saturday, January 1, 2011

[nslu2-linux] Low power / quiet drive

 

I wonder what the groups experience has been with low power drives under Linux
on the nslu2? I see there are a lot of complaints about the WD Cavier Green
drives but others seem to have no problems. I want a drive that runs cool, draws
less power, and does not require a cooling fan. 64G would be fine but I know
that 500G is probably a minimum now days.

I am also interested in experiences with flash drives. I would go that route but
the uncertainty of write cycle life leaves me a little concerned. I can remember
way back when 10K writes was the norm life, then 100K, 1M, 10M but just what
is the write life of these 8-64G USB sticks now and are some better than
others? I know you can do things to extend the life but what have real
experiences been? Has anyone "burned" one of these useless on an nslu2?

Doug Crompton
WA3DSP
www.crompton.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment